Saturday 2 April 2011

Lampwork Lessons

I've had the most fantastic day! This morning I went to see Ray Skene of Celtic Glass at the Model House in Llantrisant for my very first lamp work lesson. I was a bit nervous but there was no need because Ray was really down to earth and patient. We went through the safety procedure, talked through equipment and then, after Ray demonstrated how to make a basic bead, it was my turn! We spent all morning making different types of beads, different shapes and how to add different colours. We also made beads, coloured them with frit and encased them with clear glass. I really enjoyed the whole experience and now I'm hooked!

Here are some beads which Ray gave me as a present. I know how to make these now!









I also couldn't resist buying these beads which Ray had just made...





The beads we made in the class have to be put in the kiln and Ray will post these on to me, I can't wait to see them!

I really enjoyed the whole experience and I also appreciate how much work goes into making lampwork beads now. To see more of Ray's work, see here

Have a great weekend!

2 comments:

  1. I'm following you back from Aquariann's blog hop. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear you had fun making lampwork beads, better look out though, it is TERRIBLY addictive!
    Thanks also, Deb, for stopping by my blog. WE had a lovely time in London and the museums were fantastic.
    Jenni

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I love to hear from you...